Wednesday, November 02, 2011

smash journals

 So...last week when I was sitting in the car waiting for Tracy downtown Port Townsend, I saw a big sign in the window of the office supply store that said "SMASH Journals are here!!!"  Having never heard of them before and the fact that we were doing Journalfest at the fort, I had to pop in and see what they were all about.  I thought they were sorta cool.  I figured they would be great for my daytimer and planning type of journals and at $12.95, I figured I'd get one and try it out.
 When I got to the fort and was doodling on the cover, at least 5 people started freaking out that I had a Smash Journal.  I told them I had never heard of them before.  I found out that they have been sold out everywhere including the internet.  I wondered what the big deal was.
 The inside pages mostly have pictures on them.  Not sure yet what I will do on them.
 This rubber band was a seperate piece you can buy.  Of course...there are many components you can buy that makes your $12.95 journal jump considerably.



 Each color is different both in cover design and the pages have a different vibe to them.
 They come with this pen/glue stick that seems useless.  I don't like gluesticks and the pen isn't very dark.  I prefer my own pens.  It's also very difficult to get out of the pen holder.


More accoutrements that suck you in.  The calendars are actually pockets.  But as you can see up above, I opted to just draw in my own calendar on 2 pages that had a graph on them.  Final verdict?  Remains to be seen if I use it and like it.  The paper IS very sturdy which I like.  and the size is nice too.  BTW, amazon sells them for $1 less.

14 comments:

  1. I love that you are posting everyday! I have just started the create art everyday challenge and with only one day down, I know it can be a challenge. Thank you for your posts and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been "smashing" all along ;}

    http://con-tain-it.typepad.com/love_shack_studio/2011/07/composition-booksmy-first-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. Must check these out. I hadn't heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Teesha - What pens do you use? I'm always on the lookout for one that won't bleed through or smudge. Any tips?

    www.musingsonrealities.blogspot.com
    shannon ganshorn

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sounds like a gimmick. It is like all those To Do books and stuff. Your own are better Teesha though i have no doubt you will alter these to be the "real thing"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting review, thank you. I've heard about the 'Smash' craze, but I think I prefer to do my own. Yours will, of course, look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Teesha for the review. I have heard of them on line but never seen them. Now I know a little about what they are all about.
    Thanks
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Monica that it sounds like a gimmick for people who don't really journal, but I do like the photos you've posted. I don't give Amazon the time of day, so I'd pay a dollar more to stay away from them. However, if you ever make up a line of blank journals for people who journal, let me know! I want the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Teesha - how do I find out what workshops are coming up? I'm DYING to see you and your lovely talents in person since I know we live close now (I'm in White Rock, BC, Canada which is south of Vancouver)

    Thanks,
    Shannon
    www.musingsonrealities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen Smash Books in the store and I don't get what the excitement is. Maybe for people who don't use a journal...?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a Smash Journal recently (you do get a better price on Amazon) It's a good thing for people like me...OCD, who need someplace to journal that's already a bit messy. Some of the pages are kinda dumb. i.e. "would you rather be a cat dog or a taxidermist" I just tore those out. I liked the idea of the pen with glue on one side, ink on the other, but I found myself using other products (the glue side is just a glue stick). For me now, it's a good start, eventually, I can see myself perhaps making my own journals, but I like that I at least do the vis journaling thing in a Smash, than not at all. FYI...if you use copic marker they do bleed through the page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got one. My daughter bought one last week. We got ours at Michaels Craft store and used their 50% and 40% off coupons to get the price lower than the 12.99. I find that it was a little high myself. This seems sturdy and I can carry it with me. For myself who does not stick with putting together a journal this might be something I can do. I love the papers. And we found out the glue stick is pretty good. My daughter glued some small flat metal stuff in her's and used the glue stick and it worked well they are stuck in there. If I am in the mood to buy the extra's I'll buy a little at a time with coupons here and there. But I have enough other stuff that its not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you open the pen then pull it out.

    also, i never use the themed pages. i just cover them up with whatever else it is i'm doing. maps. pictures. cards. stencils. whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cover is amazing!! I love what you did. I don't know if I could do that to a cover.

    ReplyDelete