Thursday, October 14, 2010

6 days of art workshops = bliss

I spent 6 days last week taking workshops from some of my favorite teachers.  It was so much fun.  This first class project was an LK Ludwig workshop.  I learned a new binding technique that I love.
 We had to paint the pages using a credit card.  It was incredibly messy but I do like the finished result.  She taught us how to work photographs into our journal.  I'm excited to play with the photographs more.
 This journal will be focused on trees.  All these photos are ones that Tracy took.  I think they are beautiful and wanted to give them a place of honor.
The binding is like coptic binding but much easier.  Fun class.
 This was a Karen Michel class that I took with one of my bestest friends, Sarah Greener.  It was super fun, not messy!, and rewarding.  Karen is one of those light filled beings that shines very brightly.
 Karen adds found objects to her mini compositions which is really cool.  I hadn't brought the right stuff to class so used what I had....my collage sheets.
 The sequins add sparkle which you can't see here...but I love using them.
 This was a class taught by the amusing Tory Brokenshire where I learned to work with wire, form an armature and I learned how to solder.  This isn't finished and I need to back the wings with a translucent paper.  I LOVED soldering.  Will be playing around with it more!  Tory had the class in stitches the whole time.  She is a great teacher who doesn't take herself too seriously.  my kind of girl!
 This was a crystal neubauer workshop where I learned a different type of soldering, more wire working and encaustic papers.  These will eventually be necklaces.  I might use this encaustic paper technique for the wings above.  You should go to her website to see her work.  It's way cooler than what I did here.
 I finally decided to take a class in the medium I adore...journaling.  I learned a lot in this one from judy Wise.  She uses way more paint than I do, but now I'm hooked.  I realized I can flip back and forth by just using a few sheets of wax paper between the pages.
 Of course, these pages are not done...but very good starts for future projects.
 more of that credit card painting again.  I'm not usually fond of messy pages like this, but see that they provide a good energy to the composition.  The pocket above holds a letter I was to write to my inner child.  what came out was from my spirit guide.  that's always exciting.
 I had to paint a face upside down then write about my first art experience I can remember.
having fun with monoprinting.
This last workshop was also taught by Judy Wise.  She is fabulous and I love her dearly.  We had to work with sculpey (which I loathe).  I didn't read the class description very well.  Was thinking it was paper clay.  But I tried my best in class and although wonky, it was fun.

All in all, I was completely energized at the end of the 6 days and wanted more...but alas I have work to do.  I definitely plan on working more art time into my schedule however.  I need to play more.  It was so much fun to not be in charge of ANYTHING for a change at an art retreat.  But it also really made me want to teach again too.  

29 comments:

  1. You attends Art & Soul in Portland ? Some of my friends attended some classes there. I wanted to come from Vancouver but couldn't make it eventually.
    You seem to have had lots of fun !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fun classes. I LOVE how you incorporated your collage into the Karen Michel class piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing art, looks like you had so much fun! I love the first picture with the book cover, so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can SEE that you had a blast! Learning new stuff is so inspirational. And being creative in a social environment is worth it´s weight in gold sometimes. I adore your creations. As always, looking at them, makes me happy! Now I´m looking forward to ARTfest even more! (What?!? Is that even possible?! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got to play instead of teach. AND glad you had a great time. I want to learn how to do that cool binding on your journal. Everything is very Teesha-ish. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your works from the classes and am completely envious of you having classes with Judy Wise. I want to meet you one day. Oh, I hope I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That post looks like HeAveN to me!! I am just drooling looking at all the great creations, wow! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous time you had, making some very different things - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had lots of fun at the retreat. I love the things you made, especially the black/white journal cover. WOWSA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the spread with the cross; didn't see that one in class. Love the way the paint on the left side of the page went down - the underlying cross.

    That would be an incredible base for an abstract. You have so much painting in you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I especially like those tree pages - maybe because I´ve just made a tree piece myself tonight ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that! An art vacation, makes me wanna go too. all your projects look great, great great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Teesha!Whaqt funallthat must have been!I'm drooling here! Sue Young

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh boy! have you been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing your week! I've been so busy and haven't had enough PLAY TIME.
    Today I'm going to get my sketchbook out and just have fun being messy...
    Just what i need.
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how fun, Teesha!!! Everything you did looks like so much fun!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. It all sounds and looks wonderful, lucky you. The binding looks like the medieval binding which I recently learned, using wire and cable ties.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun to learn new things as well as play around with favourite stuff! Thank you for the reat glimpses and the links!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything is fantastic. I love, love, love your book - the binding looks very intriguing. I need to take LK's class to learn the binding. You must have been in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a fun day playing with wire and your sculpture turned out awesome, I can’t wait to see her with wings on. After talking with you I really want to come north and learn how to journal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found your site from Pumpkin Delight. I love it. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a wonderful array of projects from your trip. I especially love the tree journal and your wire sculpture. I bet your head is spinning from all the new ideas and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a big fan of Judy Wise, so cool you got the change to take a workshop with her!!! LOVE those wire-hangers too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fabulous ways your art is expanding! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These works are spectacular! I love the journal cover with the trees. I also like that you share the aspects that you find less endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh WOW, i love what you did!!! Your blog inspires me to no end!! LOVE LOVE LOVE your use of color, color, and more color!!! I've been a fan for years :)
    ~cm

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Could you post a tutorial on how to do that type of binding?

    ReplyDelete