Wednesday, November 12, 2008

new journaling mediums


I forgot to mention the 2 new journaling mediums I have been loving lately. The first one is a set of colored pencils by Derwent called coloursoft and I really love how smooth they are. My daughter Tiff, used them recently and fell in love with them too. see them here: Derwent Coloursoft Pencils - BLICK art materials These pencils are really coming in handy in my newest journal I am working in (where I didn't pre-paint the pages). I haven't shown any pages from that journal yet...I will soon. The 2nd product is called Panpastels PanPastel Artists’ Painting Pastels - BLICK art materials. Some folks at our PLAY retreat last january were getting excited about them so when I treated myself to my one new thing after Artfest (a ritual I've had), I went to Daniel Smith and bought a bunch. However, I bought mostly light colors, not knowing what I'd be doing with them. I found that I love the dark colors for creating shadows on everything. The colors I use the most are black, a dark brown, a deep red and a dark blue. They are really cool and do not need to be sealed. They go fabulously onto my fabriano paper but also will tint many different types of collage, color copies, and even most magazine pages. Between these two mediums I think my pages have more depth to them now. Anyway...something to put on your christmas list!








12 comments:

  1. I love the new pages. Especially the little robot! I am so glad you are blogging more. It inspires me to get back to my journal. BTW - I am really excited by the possibility of having ArtFiberFest in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you! I love hearing what works for someone else. I don't like spending the $ on something I know nothing about. This info will go in my wish list book. Thanks! ~PJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just took a workshop on mixed media collage techniques in which the instructor was inspired by your work.

    Very interesting ideas!

    I just discovered your website and blog. I will keep looking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. I like Derwent's Inktense pencils too, they work like a coloured pencil but once you add water they have brilliant colour like ink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for pointing out those pastels and pencils. I just started playing around with writing and hand-drawn elements on my collages and am having the damndest time with stuff that won't "set." I like to give finish coats, but it's not been possible with what I've been using.

    Love your pages. Especially the plea Star Visitor. That's what I'm saying!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love the new pages....do you draw the faces by yourself??
    Please tell me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teesha! You just make me want to make art! I love your pages! They are always perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you I have become addicted to Caran d'Arche neocolors, now I will have to try the new goodies you mentioned. Thanks for sharing, your art is so inspiring!
    Aloha,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am speechless!! i love love all the new pages...such depth!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teesha,
    The colorsoft pencils work fabulously well on fabric too. I use them to color the faces of my cloth dolls. They blend beautifully on fabric with a blending stump.

    Amy in Austin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your use of lettering....it makes your pages so alive & interesting...that's where I need some work...any tips?

    ReplyDelete