Saturday, October 14, 2006

Day in seattle


OK fine. I know I said every other day I'd blog. I guess I need to work up to that. This last week was spent sweating bullets on issue #6. It just wasn't coming along in it's normal flowing fashion. So when Tracy had to do some work yesterday in Seattle and asked if I wanted to tag along, I jumped at the chance. The first stop was a job he had to look at. I sat in the car for 10 minutes and in that time came up with 4 ideas to write about for the zine. Amazing what a fresh change of scenery will do. Next he had to go to a coffee house to work up a bid, so off we went to Vivace on capitol hill. I've been a non-coffee drinker for quite a few months now so, when he said he'd be about an hour, I took off down Broadway. Found a super cool magazine store with tons of titles I had never seen before and walked out of there 1/2 hour later with 2 bags full. We knew Trista had a 2 hour break between classes, so we made a pit stop at The Baguette Box for a few tofu sandwiches ( I LIVE for these!!!) and told her we were on our way. We scooped her up and had a wonderful picnic outside....yes, in seattle....yes in the middle of october!

So we were on our way back to the car when we spotted a car that literally was packed full of garbage on the passengers seat and the back seat...and this thing was packed up to the top of the seats....amazing. Since I was looking at it & not where I was going, my foot caught on bump in the pavement and the next thing I knew, it seemed like 10 seconds I was flying through the air parrallel with the ground. When I hit, it wasn't a pretty sight. Blood was dripping from a seriously scraped knee and since I had shorts on, it was so lovely.

We took Trista back to the CS (computer science) building on the UW campus and off we went. Next stop was OKOK in Ballard. I love that store and the guy who owns it is really cool. Bought way too many books but enjoyed every minute of it. Then we finagled our way down to Belltown to see the new exhibits at roq la rue and the BLVD gallery. I love skateboard art and was not disappointed. We walked around down there looking for studio space to rent and talked to a few of our friends who work down there. Tracy had never eaten at Flying Fish, so I took him there and at 5:30 we were sitting out on the sidewalk, eating al fresco. It was lovely and delicious. The seafood bisque is to die for.

After that things got real ugly. We had seen that Jan Svankmeier was showing a film on the other side of town, so we hopped in the car and found this little theatre (NW Film Forum). The movie was called Lunacy and I would NOT recommend it! Ugh! I'm still trying to shake this depressing movie off. I think everyone knew what we did not, because there were only 5 of us in the theatre. Oh well...win some, lose some. Afterward, Tracy was eyeballing some of the hoppin' bars and coffeehouses to journal at, but I was getting sleepy.

I had wanted to see the "Bodies" exhibit (yes, same one that has been in New York), but will have to save that for another day. My girls think I'm crazy for wanting to see it, but I can't wait....I mean, when else will I get to see the amazing work of art in the human body??? Tiffany said "even hardened RISD students were getting grossed out by it". I was cracking up...what's a "hardened RISD student"? It is now 6am on saturday morning and boy do I feel energized from yesterday. It's time to zoom, zoom, zoom on issue 6.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm A day doing that you love.... does it get any better than that? hmmmmmm. NOPE! Have a great weekend!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane6:01 PM

    You must see BodyWorld3 - it is great! Totally amazing stuff. And it was packed here in Houston, old and young, nobody grossed out at all. Fascinating process, incredible results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You so make me want to live in Seattle!! How can there possibly be so many cool places to visit in one town! Needless to say Grantham (once described - accurately! - as the most boring town in England) does not boast such exciting venues!! Can't wait for issue 6 of Art & Life now knowing something of the inspiration that's gone into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like you had a great day, minus the fall. Hope you are not too banged up, and so glad you didn't break anything. That would have been a total bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear the places you visit downtown. Even though I live so close by I never get to these cool places. So,,,, please keep telling us more about cool places to see.

    I still want to see the shoe store in Fremont you spoke of in Art and Life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Oh great, now I have to worry about everything I say to my mom lest it get posted on her blog! - Tiphoni

    ReplyDelete